Monday, November 29, 2010

Chewbacca's Chicken Cutlets

After a long sabbatical for Thanksgiving and the weekend, I continue my journey with Chewbacca's Chicken Cutlets. Just a reminder that none of these meals are actually in anyway connected with the Star Wars franchise, I just name them special names so that the boys will be more inclined to eat them. (Note: I didn't have a enough time to arrange this dinner nicely for the photo. Here it is right out of the pan)

Chewbacca's Chicken Cutlets

This is also an incredibly simple recipe. I chose to use "flavored" bread crumbs (Italian, if you're curious) making the seasoning bit a lot easier. First, you tenderize the meat and flatten out the boneless-skinless breast strip. Then you dip it in flour, then a mixture of egg and milk, and finally into bread crumbs. What is SUPPOSED to happen next is: put the cutlet into olive oil in a skillet and cook on each side for 2.5-3 minutes. What REALLY happened, was my first kitchen nightmare.

I was trying to let the kids help me with preparation. They were really intrigued by me tenderizing the meat and eagerly volunteered to dip the raw meat in the three mixtures. After each of them touched the cutlet and felt its "sliminess" I lost my unpaid assistants. BUT they never left the kitchen. It's sweet that they want to be with me but they were much more of a hindrance than a help with their constant distraction. Anakin (5) wanted me to read him a book and volunteered to follow me around the kitchen and turn the pages.

I lost track of what I was doing and let the oil go for too long scorching the bottom of the skillet. The room filled with smoke, there was lots of coughing but thank goodness no fire alarm. All I need is a Brillo pad to fix the mess, but come on, FATE! I used another pan but will have to clean the other one tomorrow.

Critique*:
Daisy Picker: Neutral
Anakin: Neutral

*A note on critiques: Anakin is a very mature 5 year old and an extremely tough food critic. I think he just enjoys saying that everything that isn't a hot dog or a chicken nugget is gross and the Daisy Picker tends to copy him. From now on, I am going to have to 'adjust' their critiques.

No comments:

Post a Comment